Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Workout tips when you don't have a gym...

So, I have found some awesome tools to help you when you don't have the money to spend on a gym :)  My personal favorite is my Nike+.  Not everyone understands what it is or how it works.   I am kind of old school when it comes to this, so let me tell you what I know :)

I have Nike+ app on my iPhone (comes automatically with all iPhones and I believe is downloadable on other smart phones).  There is a Nike+ GPS which is $1.99 on the iPhone which I purchased and I haven't even tried it yet.  Apparently that one you don't need a foot pod with...not sure how that works.  How I do it is I have a foot pod that my Nike+ Sensor goes into on my shoe.  So you don't even need a special shoe.  What is great about it is it measures your foot steps and tells you how far you are going.  You can set your run to music which I love!  It even has coaching on it so if you want to run your first 5K it will give you a training plan.  I used it when I did my half marathon and it was awesome!  You can set that you want to run by time, distance or calories burnt.  You can even do basic which is just running and tracking for you.  It will talk you through your progress.  So, I run 20 min normally.  It will say you have run 5 min then again at 10 then it counts down.  After it says your half way point it will count down 5 min left, 4, 3, 2 and 1.  It is awesome.  I even hit my best mile times and Lance Armstrong came on to congratulate me.  It reminds you that you aren't running forever.  You can even look back at your year to see how far you ran all year.  There is even contests on their site to try and win for different things.  You get medals.  Its healthy competition literally.

My other new fav is NTC (Nike Training Center).  It actually shows you videos of what to do for workouts that you build yourself.  Again, it counts down for you and also tracks just like the Nike+.  Now not everyone knows what a Crazy Ivan is (I know I didn't), so you can play the video to show you...the workout pauses while you watch the video and then when you are ready you can just hit start.  Best thing, the app is FREE!  Can you believe it!?!?  I am sure it would be nice on an iPad, but I have only used it on the iPhone.  I did the ab workout and I haven't really been able to laugh for a couple days now because it really worked you out!  The only thing so far I had to go buy was a medicine ball (yknow the heavy ball that when you throw it to your husband he doesn't expect it to be 8 lbs and he almost drops it...lol).

So, those are my on a budget work out tips.  So, no more excuses...go out and move more!

No comments:

Post a Comment